If you have just purchased your very first home, there’s a lot to learn about building maintenance, as the average family home is a complex network of water and waste pipes, along with an electrical system that can go wrong at any time. It might seem like a daunting challenge to manage a property and to help you get started, here are some essential domestic services that you are likely to need at some point in the future.
- Plumber – Anything related to water requires a plumber and anything more than changing a tap washer should be left to the professional plumber. They can detect leaks, repair burst water pipes and even sort out hot water issues; source the number of an emergency plumber and store it in your smartphone.
- Electrician – Another essential tradesman that you might require and with a Google search, you can locate an emergency electrician in Central Coast who will come at any time of day or night. Electricity can be very dangerous and you are not advised to tackle any issues, unless you happen to be very experienced.
- Drain Cleaning – Some plumbers can unblock drains, although the drain specialist has all the resources to identify and clear the blockage, which includes special mobile CCTV buggies that give the technician a close-up view of the inner pipe surfaces. Some homeowners have their drains power washed every year, which keeps things flowing and that reduces the risk of a blockage.
- Tree Surgeon – Trees do require care and attention and if left unchecked, a large tree can quickly become a safety hazard, so it pays to have your trees managed by a local arborist. If you have just purchased the property, ask your local arborist to check the health of all trees and shrubs.
- Roofing Contractor – Sadly, many homeowners forget about the most important component of their property, namely the roof. Arrange for a local roofer to carry out an annual roof inspection and any issues can be quickly repaired before they become major problems.
Another good idea is to create a relationship with a trusted local builder and if you ever want to renovate or repair, he is your man. As the years pass, you will pick up building maintenance tips and might even get into DIY, which would save you a lot of money. Your home is likely to be the biggest single investment that you’ll ever make and it makes sense to maintain the property, which will protect your investment.